CBIE recognizes that we have a responsibility and opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to climate action. Our national conference is an important event for the Canadian international education community, and we are continuously working to identify and implement measures to minimize negative environmental and social impacts in its planning and execution.
Specifically, CBIE is implementing the following initiatives at this year’s conference:
- Paperless Program: All of our session and conference information can be found on the conference website or app. We will not be providing printed programs.
- Meatless Monday: Recognizing the impact that meat farming has on the environment, all meals, including snacks, will be meat-free on Monday.
- Carbon Offsetting: To offset the carbon emissions generated by hosting and attending our conference, CBIE will donate a portion of ticket sales to Carbone Boréal to help reforest portions of agricultural wasteland impossible to cultivate. Sponsors are also invited to make donations.
- Recyclable Lanyards: This year’s lanyards are made of recycled plastic bottles and are fully recyclable.
- Onsite Commitment: We work closely with our host venues to ensure that we offer a sustainable conference experience. The Sheraton Centre is taking direct action in guest rooms, meeting spaces, and food and beverage service.
- For details, consult the Sheraton Centre Toronto’s Green Initiative Handbook.
- Click here to learn more about the Marriott Sustainability Policy.
We welcome your thoughts and comments on ways in which you feel we can improve our impact. Please provide your feedback within our conference survey, available on our conference app in November.